There seems to have been a lot of illness lately in Hong Kong. From kids, to grown ups, it seems that every family has had a least one person laid up and on meds! So whether you’ve been suffering from a cold, the flu or something more serious, let’s help you get back on the road to recovery and feeling like your usual self!
There’s no magic pill to bring us back to health after an illness, but follow our tips and you’ll quickly get your energy and mojo back! By eating the right foods and resuming your fitness routine, you can start to heal your body. Don’t rush your recovery; listen to your body and ease back into your normal routine.
We know how busy everyone is in Hong Kong but you must make time for recovery from illness. As you probably know, if you are continually tired and stressed you are more likely to fall ill again. Don’t chance it! We’re sure you have people relying on you to be ship shape, whether that’s kids or co-workers, and of course, yourself!
Our top tips for recovering from illness:
1. Choose foods that healAfter a stomach illness you’ll be advised to eat easy to digest foods like brown rice, toast, apples and bananas. If you’re early in recovery, especially after a stomach or intestinal illness, choose foods that are easy to digest, like brown rice, dry toast, apples, or bananas. Will other illnesses or when you are ready to handle a more normal menu, eat as “clean” as possible. By this, we mean foods that are rich in nutrients that actually work to repair your body; foods that don’t have added chemicals and processed ingredients. The best energy foods after illness include superfoods, which are rich in vitamins, nutrients, and antioxidants. Our nutritionist recommends Vit C Thunder, The A-Team, Antioxidant Dessert, and Omega Mega Seeds Fix to help those on the mend.
2. Hydrate yourselfWater should be your best friend when recovering from illness. It flushes the body of toxins so your body can focus on recovery instead of fighting those toxins. Water also keeps lymph fluid flowing, which helps distribute white blood cells throug your body which fight any remaining traces of illness. If you don’t enjoy drinking plain water, just infuse it with your favourite fruit!
3. Avoid Energy Sapping FoodsProcessed, starchy and carb heavy foods will only drain your energy levels. Avoid foods like donuts or sugary, processed cereals. White pastas and breads can make you feel run down by spiking and then dropping blood sugar levels so always choose the whole wheat option. In addition, fried foods sink energy levels by putting the digestive system into overdrive so it can process the excess fat.
4. ExerciseResume some gentle exercise to create a demand for energy. The body produces energy naturally to meet demand, so you should feel less fatigue as a result.
5. Ask for helpDon’t fall into the trap of taking on too much, only to find yourself drained of energy and succumbing to illness again. Don’t be afraid to ask family and friends to help you out by taking over some of your responsibilities until you are fully back on your feet.
From all of us at Chewswize, we hope you feel better soon!